Many users have confirmed that they see the Minecraft runtime environment cannot be updated error when trying to launch Minecraft Launcher? And the error usually occurs in Minecraft Java Edition.
If you are also dealing with the error then you are in the right place, here you will get detailed information about this issue. The Minecraft Runtime Environment cannot be started error is very annoying as it prevents you from launching the launcher, which means you cannot make one-time changes to it.
But don’t worry, many users have been able to fix the problem by repairing Minecraft Launcher, removing buggy third-party or Minecraft mods, or simply updating the Java Runtime Environment (described in detail below).
So, follow the fixes to fix Minecraft unable to update launcher issue by following workable solutions that have worked for several affected users. But before delving into troubleshooting solutions, it’s important to understand the most common culprits that trigger the error.
What Causes the Minecraft Runtime Environment Cannot Be Updated Error?
- Insufficient Minecraft Launcher Permissions – Sometimes using third party apps on your laptop can interfere with the Minecraft process as the Java runtime is not updated properly. And it prevents Minecraft from launching on Windows 10. To fix this problem, you need to run Minecraft Launcher as an administrator.
- Minecraft Mods – Minecraft offers multiple modes and players download and install this mode on their system to enhance the gaming experience. However, in some cases, modes can create a problem and cause conflicts that can lead to this error message during the update. In this case, you should completely remove these modes from your system.
- Outdated Java Runtime Environment – If your Java Runtime Environment is out of date, you may see this error message when launching Minecraft Launcher. To fix this problem Update your Java Runtime Environment.
If you are wondering how to fix the Minecraft launcher cannot update the Minecraft runtime environment issue, read this article to the end and try the individual solution to fix the problem completely.
How to Fix “The Minecraft Runtime Environment Cannot be Updated”?
Table of Contents
Solution #1: Move Curse Folder to System C Drive
According to some players, they fix the problem by moving the Curse folder to C drive.
To do this, locate the Curse folder of the Minecraft launcher and copy or cut and paste the folder to the C drive of your system.
Try this method and see if your problem is fixed or not. If you still have the same problem, move on to the next solution.
Solution #2: Run Minecraft Launcher as Administrator
Running the program as an administrator is a basic trick to run the program without errors and bugs. Running Minecraft Launcher as an administrator can work similarly to fix the error.
To do this, follow the instructions below:
- First, right-click on the Minecraft Launcher app.
- Then click Properties.
- Now switch to the Compatibility tab.
- After that, click on Run this program as an administrator option.
- Click the Apply button and press OK to confirm the operation.
Solution #3: Disable virus/firewall protection in Windows Security
Antivirus software often prevents third-party apps or games from running on your system. On the other hand, if you try to update your games or app, the antivirus may cause conflicts. Antivirus software or firewall is blocking application access, so it’s best to disable it.
Therefore, it is recommended to disable antivirus software to avoid errors or bugs. Then follow the instructions to do so:
- First, click on the Windows start button
- Now click on the Settings option
- Navigate to the Update & security option
- Click Windows Security
- After that select Virus & Threat Protection option
- Now click on Manage Settings option, in old version of Windows 10 click on Virus & Threat Protection Settings
- After that, switch real-time protection to Off
After disabling Defender antivirus in Windows Security, now run Minecraft launcher and check if the problem persists or not.
Solution #4: Copy the runtime folder and paste it to another location
After following all the above solutions and still having the same problem, don’t worry, try this solution to fix your problem.
If the modpacks in the launcher folder are not working, you may get the error that the Minecraft runtime environment cannot be started. To fix this problem, copy the runtime program files (x86) from the Minecraft installation directory and paste the folder into the Curse Launcher folder.
After that, check whether the program still exists or not. If you still have the same problem then you need to repair your minecraft launcher.
Solution #5: Fix Minecraft Launcher.
If there are any corrupted or broken files in the app, your minecraft will report can’t update launcher error. To fix this problem, you can repair your Minecraft Launcher from Programs and Features option.
- Simultaneously click Windows key + R to open the Run utility.
- Now type the following command in the text box.
- Now click the Sign In button.
- Here you can see all the programs that are installed on your PC.
- Locate Minecraft Launcher and right-click on it.
- Now click on the Repair option and follow the instructions to repair Minecraft launcher.
- After completing the process, try to update your game and see if Minecraft launcher can’t update Minecraft runtime environment error or not.
Solution #6: Remove Minecraft mods
Sometimes Minecraft crashes due to third party mods and can lead to this issue. This mode offers you a great experience of playing games on your PC, but in some cases it causes various errors when using the Minecraft launcher. To fix this problem, you should delete all third-party Minecraft mods from your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- First, press Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Now type the following command and press Enter.
- Your Windows Explorer will now open. You are in the roaming directory, so open the .minecraft folder.
- Here you have two options, the first is to delete the mods and the second is to delete the bin folder.
How to delete the mods:
First open .minecraft and click on the mods folder to open it.
Now right click and delete all mods one by one
To delete the bin folder:
First open .minecraft and click on the bin folder to open it.
Now delete the bin folder.
After deleting the modes or bin folder, check if your minecraft launcher can’t update issue is fixed or not. If the same problem persists, please reinstall the Minecraft launcher.
Solution #7: Install Minecraft Launcher
If you are using an external hard drive for your PC or laptop and still cannot install Minecraft Launcher on Windows OS and cannot update Minecraft runtime environment issue, then this solution can solve your problem.
Many players have reported that they fix this problem by installing Minecraft Launcher on their system startup drive.
If you already have Minecraft Launcher installed on your system drive and are having the same issue, please uninstall your current Minecraft Launcher and install the latest version system drive.
Follow the instructions below to reinstall Minecraft Launcher:
- First, open the Windows start button
- Now type control in the search box and select Control Panel from the result.
- After that, on the right side of the View By tab, you will get: Select Category from the drop-down help.
- Now select the Uninstall a program option.
- In the list of installed apps, find Minecraft Launcher and right-click it, or you can select Minecraft Launcher and click the Uninstall button at the top. Now follow the instructions to uninstall the program.
- After uninstalling the program, download it again from the official Minecraft Launcher website.
- After the download process is complete, install the Minecraft launcher on your operating system’s boot drive.
- Now start the launcher using a system drive and check if the problem is solved or not.
Solution No.8: Update the…